Please warn your family and friends that it is not easy to make phone calls from here and that they should not panic if they donít hear from you immediately after they arrive.
- The best thing to do is to call your family from Quito to let them know that you arrived safely and to tell them that you will call again as soon as possible.
(Phone calls can be made in Tena on a day off)
- To get to the nearest phone you have to go to Ahuano by canoe. The problem is that petroleum is expensive, and therefore we do not often travel to Ahuano.
There are good and cheep internet-cafés at Tena, where you can check your e-mails on your days off.
- It is best if you use a free service like hotmail, yahoo etc. for your e-mails.
- Our mail-addresses are only to be used in case of a real emergency, because otherwise we would be flooded with e-mails and the line would break down.
The mail from Europe takes about 10 days to get here, and is collected once a week in Tena.
In Tena there is a fax-machine. It is not possible to send a fax abroad from here, and not easy to receive one either, because the fax often gets stuck due of the humidity.
Please tell your family and friends only to use the fax in case of emergency.
It is also possible to make a direct call to amaZOOnico: 099-800 463.
For family and friends at home:
- Please use this number only in case of emergency.
We always get worried when we get a call, and it is often not very easy to directly get the volunteer on the line because they donít work near the phone.
- The phone can only receive calls, so we are not able to call anyone back from here.